Saturday, November 19, 2011

Worked in Qc all year, moving to ON in Dec: RQ says I have to file in Qc?

I've been reading answers in this forum and thought that I should file in Ontario, but I called RQ and they tell me I should file in Quebec no matter where I resided Dec 31st....I am confused! HELP!





My situation: Work full time in Quebec all year in a research institute. I pay group insurance, RQAP, etc. I live in Quebec, but I am moving to Ottawa next week, where I will work in a federal government agency. My Quebec job will still continue paying me until the end of the year because I can do both work ( I am a scientist and only need to finish writing a few papers).





As of next week, I will have a Ottawa address and pay check. I called Revenue Qc and they tell me that since I worked in Quebec most of the year, I am not allowed to file in Ontario. I am quite puzzled because everyone told me that it only mattered where I live on Dec 31st.


Can someone please answer based on experience rather than on an interpretation of the law? Obviously, considering the RQ answer to my question, there is room for all sorts of interpretations. |||Yes, you're correct. Since you will be a resident of Ontario as of December 31st, you will be required to file in Ontario... even though you made income in Quebec.





I worked for a tax preparation company a few years ago and many Ontarians would bring in income forms from Quebec as well. We just had to enter it pretty much the same way you would in Ufile.





I then moved to Manitoba a couple of years ago later in the year and WISH I could have filed as an Ontarian because I would have got more on my return that year. My husband ended up owing. We paid lower taxes in Ontario all year but then had to claim in Manitoba where the tax rates are higher.





If you still have residential ties to Quebec, then you would file in Quebec... like if this is just a seasonal job and you'll be returning to Quebec. If this is going to be your permanent residence, then you will file in Ontario.|||Refer to the attached link (for the 2007 tax year, but the 2008 info should be the same).





I think the following condition holds for you.





You were resident in Canada, outside Qu茅bec, but you carried on a business or practised a profession in Qu茅bec, and


you are required to pay Qu茅bec income tax;


you disposed of capital property; or


you are reporting a capital gain resulting from a 2006 reserve

No comments:

Post a Comment