Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What other options does a homeless person have? Have you been in this situation?

My husband and I had factory jobs 4 years ago. We had a baby and I went back to work. 2 weeks later I lost my job and couldn't get EI because I just came back from my baby. 2 weeks after that my husband lost his job. 2 years after that, a bankruptcy and another baby and my husband got laid off again from his job. His EI runs out this week. On top of that he doesn't have enough hours to get another claim and there are no jobs here. Besides that we're applying for wefare. It will be for about 2 maybe 3 months until he goes to basic training in the army.





My problem is this: we live with my mother and our homelessness is called "concealed homelessness". My mother abused me as a child, beat me and terrorized me. We have no where else to go and no one else to help us as they are all broke or next to as well. We pay my mother $500 a month and buy all the groceries which she eats. The only thing she buys is bread and lunch meat because we bake our own bread and she hates it and loves lunch meat which we don't eat. Her bf (who lied about being married, his name and his age to her face - she still 'loves' him) comes down every weekend and tells her that we mooch off her all the time. He eats our food too on the weekends. I clean the house top to bottom every day and keep everything we own in a room 20' by 13'. The only option we have is to go to a shelter - but only myself and the children. My husband would have to crash with family for about 2 or 3 months until he left. There is no guarantee that we'd get housing after. I'm at a loss for what to do. We have no money, there are no jobs (that make more than welfare and they take dollar for dollar if you do work) and my mom is threatening to throw us out if we don't give her the $498 in welfare we will get a month.





We will get 498 (welfare) 575 (baby bonus) per month. She wants 500 and we have at least $700 a month in other bills that have to be paid. This isn't including groceries. The thing is if she signs a piece of paper for welfare we can get the extra $500 a month for rent for her. She won't sign because we have given her $5000 for 10 months that we have lived here and she does not want to claim it. So now she's threatening us to kick us out if we can't pay. I know she'd have to get the eviction and stuff because we rent here now too, but living with her is hell. She always yells, tells us off and is a 'victim'. I left home at 17 and went to the shelter because of this and they have her history. That's the only reason why they would take me and my kids now. It got so bad that with my 3rd pregnancy I'm spotting from the stress and start cramping whenever she starts. I've ended up in the hospital with it and the doctor had told her to her face to not get me stressed out because I could miscarry the baby. I am 16 weeks now. She smokes in the house and you can smell it everywhere. She used to smoke outside and started inside when we moved in. I am at an end and have no idea what other options there are for me. The only other one I have been offered is the program where they give us emergency housing in a motel for two weeks and a bus ticket to a bigger city like Toronto or Ottawa where we can live in a hostel with other homeless families. To get housing is a 6 to 12 month wait. Does anyone have any other ideas of what a family can do in Ontario Canada? I'm seriously losing my mind.|||There are a couple of things that you can do. Talk to the welfare people and ask about section 8 housing. I am sure they are overwhelmed but you may have a shot at it. That is rent that is based on income. With all of the foreclosures they may have something. There should be a food-bank in the area near you. Do you have food stamps. Also, you should be able to get state insurance depending on which state you live in. There are avenues to approach. Start by talking to the people who you deal with for welfare.





The History Man


http://wwwhistoryman.blogspot.com/|||You should go to the shelter. A wife with kids gets placed very fast. I know exactly how it works and if I don't know something I can find out quickly.





Wow I am so sorry for your situation but I do know a few ways that your husband can make money. You can im me or msg me... if this doesn't work or seems like an uncomfortable place to discuss this.





Does your husband have access to a car? Do you have a comfortable way for 24/7 internet access?





(I mean do you own the computer/laptop or are you at a library or something?)

No comments:

Post a Comment