Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Long delayed first time Canadian tax return?

Hello,


I filed a paper return because this was my 1st year filing.


They said it took a few month to process. I know lots of friends who filed first time in Canada this year and all of they received it.


But I am still waiting. I checked that my file arrived at the Tax Centre on April 22th through Canada Post. However, every time I call I was told they don't know because my data is not in system. They suggested to send my application again. I asked them whether they lost my file or not. They said that they can't give me exact answers before they get information on they system because all the first time tax return goes to Ottawa.


Is there any way to check whether my file was sent to Ottawa or just lost?


Do you think I should file it agian?


They said, if I file again my previous application will be dropped and my new filing will start. And they suggested that it will take at least 2 months.


Whenever I call them, they said just wait 2 or 3 weeks.|||Well if they can't definitively tell you that they've at least received it, it may very well be lost.





If they could see that it was filed, but not yet assessed, I'd think they would say 'yes we have it, but sorry we don't know how long it will take to get assessed' instead of 'sorry we don't see it in the system at all', which is what it sounds like you are getting from them.





If you choose to re-file your return, clearly mark on it that this is a duplicate filing and that you originally filed on X date but have yet to receive your initial notice of assessment.





In the future, once you finally get your notice of assessment (NOA), I strongly suggest you sign up for "MyAccount" (link below). You will then be able to see the status of your future tax return filings ("not received", "received", "assessed").

No comments:

Post a Comment